My Band Needs Money and That Sucks
I have seen lot’s of local bands struggle with money thinking that playing shows and touring is enough to sustain them financially which usually never happens.
Local Bands that want to make money outside of tours and shows should start thinking of the band as a business and not just a band. Everyone in the band should be equally dedicated to the success of the band and want to see great things happen.
I am just writing this to give some helpful tips.
1. Create a business plan
- Develop a bruises plan for band: http://www.artistshousemusic.org/videos/be+prepared+develop+a+business+plan+for+your+band
- Business plan development: http://www.ehow.com/video_2378989_develop-band-business-plan_-bands.html
- Why your band should have a business plan: http://www.musicdish.com/mag/?id=10390
2. The Donation Method
- How to write a fundraising letter: http://www.fundraiserhelp.com/how-to-write-a-fundraising-letter.htm
- How to write a donation letter: http://www.usafundraising.com/resources/fundraising-letters/how-to-write-donation-letters.html
Sample donation letter: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sample-donation-letter.html
Steps to creating a donation campaign
- Create a heartfelt letter of your bands journey goals, success and pitfalls.
- Have each band member make a list of ten people they know (include names, address and phone number)
- Buy stamps and envelopes
- In your envelop include a card with the opportunity for people to commit to a monthly donation to your band and activities. Also give them the opportunity to make a one time donation
If your friends and families do donate make sure that you keep them updated on band activities and thank them for the donation.
Difference Between Endorsement and Sponsorship
1. An act of giving one’s public approval or support to someone or something.
2. A recommendation of a product in an advertisement.
1. The position of being a sponsor
2. Financial support received from a sponsor
Many companies will give sponsorships to bands that they believe are committed to the success of their band
This is where your business plan will be the most important
How to get band endorsement: http://www.musicthinktank.com/mtt-open/how-to-get-endorsements-or-sponsors-for-your-band-tour-recor.html
- Make a list of local businesses, companies and corporations in your area. (find ones that are typically centered around music)
Write a Sponsorship Letter
Letter requesting sponsorship: http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Letter-Requesting-Sponsorship
Sponsorship letter example: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sponsorship-letters-examples.html
How to get sponsorship money for your band: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Get-Big-Sponsorship-Money-for-Your-Band,-Tour,-Event-or-Production&id=10503
Write an Endorsement Letter
How to write an Endorsement letter: http://www.writeexpress.com/endorsement.htm
- Define which companies would be better for sponsorship and which ones will be better for endorsement
Local Band Do’s and Dont’s: http://smashmagazine.com/issue41-miscellaneous-localbanddosdonts.html